Friday, January 14, 2011

Endplay + avoidance play ****

I found myself in a tough contract today at matchpoints.  None vul., partner opened 1H and I bid 1NT, forcing, bypassing my 4 card spade suit because we were playing Flannery.  He now bid 2C.  What is your call?

♠ K10xx
void
109xx
♣ AJ98x

I counted my points and counted my losers and considered the merits of 3 clubs.  I finally settled on 2 spades, artificial, showing a good club raise.  Partner now jumped to 3NT.  A diamond was led.

♠ xx
AQJxx
KQ
♣ Kxxx

♠ K10xx
void
109xx
♣ AJ98x

A lot of work to do.  RHO won the ace of diamonds and returned a diamond, LHO showing out and pitching an encouraging spade.  The good news is I have a second diamond stopper; the bad news is I can't count to 9 tricks.  The other bad news is that if I let RHO in with a diamond, he'll lead a spade through my K10.  What to do?

I've got to get a couple of tricks in hearts, so I play the ace and the queen, LHO winning.  On the ace and queen of hearts I pitch spades.  I can now count 8 tricks if I can get 5 clubs.  LHO does my work for me and returns a club to the queen and my ace.  I play another round of clubs and RHO pitches a heart.

These cards remain:

♠ xx
Jxx

♣ Kx

♠ K10
void
109
♣ J9x

I still can't let RHO in the lead, so I have to hope that I can endplay LHO and force a spade lead.  I therefore cash another club (extracting the last club from LHO) and the jack of hearts and lead the 4th round of hearts, hoping...

Yes! RHO shows out and LHO wins and has only spades left.  I therefore score my spade king and fifth club for 9 tricks. (5 clubs, 1 diamond, 2 hearts and 1 spade).

RHO held:  Qx/9xxx/Axxxxx/Q
LHO held:  AJxxx/K10xx/x/10xx

Plus 400 was worth 7 out of 8 matchpoints.  Maybe next time I'll bid 3 clubs--but then there wouldn't be a story.

See you at the table!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the blog.
minor point: LHO had the K of hearts . . .