Thursday, May 26, 2011

Jennbridge: Twice Burned

East couldn't really avoid the first endplay on this hand, but could have sidestepped the second one.


South Deals
None Vul
♠ Q 8 6 4
Q 10 9 7 4
7 5
♣ K 5
♠ 10 9
J 8 2
J 9 8 2
♣ J 9 4 3
N
WE
S
♠ K J 7
5
A K 10 6 3
♣ A 10 8 7
♠ A 5 3 2
A K 6 3
Q 4
♣ Q 6 2
WestNorthEastJenn
1 NT
Pass2 Pass2
PassPassDblPass
3 ♣PassPass3
All pass
3 by South

At team play recently, I got a heart lead and had to figure out how to avoid losing 5 tricks.  RHO had hesitated briefly after the 2D transfer bid and then she doubled.  Therefore I knew she had diamonds and values.  I should be able to endplay her in the diamond suit.

I drew trumps ending in my hand and led the queen of diamonds.  RHO won the ace, cashed the king and had to either lead a black suit or give me a ruff/sluff.  Most players are reluctant to give up a ruff/sluff, so she returned a spade which I ducked to my queen.  A spade to the ace revealed the 3-2 break, so I exited with a spade to RHO.  Endplayed again, she cashed her club ace and I made my contract.

The defenders could have prevailed by giving me a ruff/sluff.  RHO knows her partner has at most 3 points, so I must have the spade ace. She needs to defend more carefully to take the 5 tricks she has coming.  Of course LHO could have made life easier for the defense by leading something other than a trump.

See you at the table!

1 comment:

Memphis MOJO said...

LHO could have made life easier for the defense by leading something other than a trump.

Like the 10 of spades.