Monday, July 18, 2011

Jennbridge: 26 Tricks

Here are a couple of hands from the first session of the Sonoma sectional held recently in which Bob and I posted a 70% plus game!

1.

Board 4
West Deals
Both Vul
♠ 9 7 2
K 9 7
K 5
♣ A 10 6 5 2
♠ J 8
6 5
A Q J 7 2
♣ 8 7 4 3
N
WE
S
♠ 10 6 4 3
2
10 8 6 4 3
♣ K Q J
♠ A K Q 5
A Q J 10 8 4 3
9
♣ 9
WestNorthEastSouth
JennBob
PassPassPass2 ♣
Pass2 Pass2
Pass3 Pass4 NT
Pass5 Pass6
6 by South

Bob got a heart lead and, looking for that extra trick at matchpoints, played the ace of clubs followed by a club ruff.  When the queen and jack of clubs appeared, it cost nothing to lead a heart back to the board to ruff another club.  The hoped-for club holding appeared as the king was ruffed out, making the remaining clubs on the board good.  He was then able to pitch his diamond on the club ten, and either ruff or pitch his 4th spade, and make 7.  This was worth all 25 matchpoints.

Post-game calculations revealed that the specific holding of KQJ when missing 7 cards in the suit was a little less than 2%.  Looking for that favorable card combination, despite it being a low percentage chance,  however, can make a big difference in your score!

2.

Board 9
North Deals
None Vul
♠ A K J 10 8 7 5 2

J
♣ Q J 8 4
♠ Q 3
J 9 7 4 3
Q 10 7
♣ 6 5 2
N
WE
S
♠ —
A Q 10 8 5
K 9 8 6 4 2
♣ K 9
♠ 9 6 4
K 6 2
A 5 3
♣ A 10 7 3
WestNorthEastSouth
JennBob
1 ♠2 3
Pass3 Pass4 ♠
Pass4 NTPass5
Pass6 ♠All pass
6 ♠ by North

I opened 1S, East overcalled 2D, Bob bid 3D, showing a limit raise or better, and I had to decide how to proceed.  I have a 4-loser hand and partner is showing no more than 8 losers so we are in the slam zone.  How can I find out about controls?

I decide to bid 3H, control-showing, although I am aware that partner may interpret it as a help-suit game try.  I am, of course, desperate to hear a club cuebid.  No luck--partner jumps to 4S.

Now what?  My hand is so good that I can't let the auction die without a fight.  Plus it against my principles--I figure that if you don't give these powerful hands the respect they deserve, the Card Gods may punish you with an eternal supply of 4-3-3-3 ten counts!

I bid 4NT, keycard and partner shows 2 aces.  I bank on one of them being the ace of clubs and jump to 6 spades.  I win the diamond lead, draw trump, take the club finesse and make 7.

What an easy game...:-)  Plus 1010 is worth 23.5 out of 25 matchpoints.

See you at the table!

No comments: