Monday, March 9, 2020

As The Auction Proceeds

One of the most interesting aspects of bridge is curiosity about how the auction will proceed.

As dealer, I picked up this hand yesterday in the first match at the Santa Rosa sectional team game.

AKQJxx
void
Qxxx
Qxx

Was it a good hand or not?  Maybe I only have 6 tricks.  My minor suits could be worthless.  Let's see how it goes.

I opened 1 and LHO overcalled 2.  Now partner made the greatest bid--a negative double!  This shows cards in both minors--just what I'm interested in!

RHO bid 3 and I knew just what to do, vulnerable at IMPs.  I jumped to 4 rather confidently!  All passed and I awaited the dummy.

x
Qxxxx
J1098
AKx

AKQJxx
void
Qxxx
Qxx

Bingo!  This should be easy--even though LHO started with the K, followed by the A.  Even if there is a diamond ruff lurking, the contract should be safe with a reasonable trump break.

The 4♠ contract made easily and we were rewarded with a double-digit swing and a big match score. This kicked off a good day which resulted in a second place finish.

It pays to stay alert to how the value of your hand increases or decreases during the course of the auction.

See you at the table!