Sunday, May 6, 2007

Four Tops *

I had 4 interesting notrump hands Friday that resulted in top boards...(well 3 tops and 1 tied for top...:-) Debbie T. was my partner.

Hand 1. The bidding goes 1 H by my LHO, Double by pard, Pass to me and I held:

9xx
QJxx
Axx
10xx so I bid 1NT.

Partner bid 2NT and I bid 3! Partner rates to have a good hand and I like to bid a lot--especially when I am going to be declarer.

I get the KH lead and see this dummy:
KJx
xx
Kxx
AKQxx

9xx
QJ52
Axx
10xx

We have 25 points. If clubs run I should have an easy time of it. I encourage hearts but LHO isn't fooled and shifts to a spade. I duck and RHO wins the Ace! Things are looking pretty good. She shifts back to a heart, I play the Q, LHO wins the A and falls from grace by returning a low heart to my 5.

Now I have 2S (I'll hook the J), 2H, 2D and 3 clubs. Clubs don't run and I make 9 tricks for a top.
Positional considerations.

Hand 3. I picked up the following 19 count:

Q
AQ9
AKxxxx
Axx

I opened 1D and pard bid 1H. Now I have a rebid problem. I am too strong to rebid 3D and don't have a convenient jump shift, although 2N is a possibility. I decided to emphasize the strength of my hand by a jump shift into clubs--3 clubs! This was what partner needed to hear to get to 3NT--the top spot. She made 5, but just bidding and making 3NT gets the top board.

Hand 4. This is my favorite. It was the last hand of the day and our game wasn't so good--I estimated in the low 50%. We needed a top to be in the money.
Partner opened 1D and I held the following:

Kx
Kxx
K10xxxx
xx

We weren't playing inverted minors so a 2D bid wasn't available. I loved my D holding and wanted to protect my major suit kings so I thought I should maybe bid 1 or 2NT. Instead--looking for that top--I bid 3NT! I hoped my partner had a sense of humor.

The dummy was quite suitable:

10xx
A10x
AQ9x
Kxx

Kx
Kxx
K10xxxx
xx

I got a low H lead, ducked and the J came up. Good--I'll finesse the Q later. I won my HK and started playing diamonds hoping to get some useful information about the location of the black aces. It looked like I had 9 tricks and a good board but at matchpoints you are always looking for that extra trick.

I ran my diamonds and hooked the H10 for 9 tricks. I then came off the board with a low club which my LHO had to win and in the end I scored the SK for 10 tricks and a top.

See you at the table!

No comments: