Thursday, May 10, 2007

Night games **

The Wednesday night team game was mostly about bidding games (as usual)! Frank and I like to bid thin games and they all came home! Here are some of the best...

Hand 1

RHO opens 1H and I hold:

Qxx
Kxx
A109x
Kxx

so I double...Not the most shapely takeout double, but these kind of doubles work for us. LHO bids 2H and Frank surprises me by jumping to 3NT! Everyone passes and a H is led. Here is his hand:

Jx
Ax
Kxxxxx
Jxx

Not many high card points, but a source of tricks in diamonds. Also all of my values rate to be working as I am positioned behind the opening bidder. It turns out we have 6 D tricks, 2H tricks and can score the CK by leading to it late in the hand. Win 9 imps.

Hand 2

Frank opened a light 1S in third seat with:

Kxxxx
x
KQxxx
xx

Only 8 HCP, but 6 losers. We play Drury so we are theoretically protected from getting overboard. RHO overcalls 2C and I hold a pretty good hand:

AJxx
AJ9x
10x
10xx

so I bid 3C. LHO now gets into the action with 3H. Frank passes, denying a good hand, and RHO bids 4H! I can't stand it...I double. Frank can't stand it...he pulls my double and bids 4S. All pass. Trumps break 2-2, diamonds break 4-2 and you can't touch it. Plus 620. Win 10 imps.
Hand 4.Finally, imagine the surprise of our teammate, Laura C. when she held this rock and heard the following bidding:

AKxxx
----
AKxxxx
Kx

1D by Laura, 3H by her LHO, 3S by her pard, Tom G.! Yep...she had intended to reverse into spades but her partner bid them first! She didn't hesitate about bidding blackwood and settling into a good slam. Tom held:

10xxxx
Kxx
Jx
AQx

An easy make. At our table Frank overcalled 4H and made it more difficult for them. They missed the slam and we picked up 13 imps.
See you at the table!

No comments: