Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Jennbridge: Uppercut and Trump Promotion

Larry Hansen, one of my partners, recently sent me this interesting hand, noting that it was a defense that hasn't been written about very much.  Thanks Larry!

Hi Jennifer,
I had an interesting Defensive Hand with one of my students earlier in Nov. My student failed to recognize a situation where she needed to lead a suit for me to uppercut, and so I wrote up an article on Uppercuts and Trump Promotions for her and others that I might need to instruct.

But this hand was especially interesting because of a key 2nd hand play which was made which allowed us to reach a situation where both an Uppercut play and a Trump Promotion were in play.

Board 26
East Deals
Both Vul
♠ K J
K 7 6 5 3
K 4
♣ Q J 6 4
♠ 3 2
Q J 10 8 2
5 3
♣ A 8 5 3
N
WE
S
♠ A Q 9 8 7 6
A 4
Q J 2
♣ 9 7
♠ 10 5 4
9
A 10 9 8 7 6
♣ K 10 2
EW played in 2S by E. (The D: designates tricks won by the defense)

S started with the 9H, with the QH winning in dummy.
D: Declarer played a D from dummy, and I decided to play the KD as an unblock in case partner had D's; the KD won.
D: I could give partner a ruff, with a high H, but thought that I would get another entry with a D ruff and so I continued D's, which partner won with the A.
D: Partner led a 3rd D after some thought, and I ruffed with the JS.
D: I now led a H and partner ruffed.

This is where partner faltered, she continued with a C and eventually the defense won a 5th trick in C's
Had partner understood the value of her TS and the fact that I ruffed with the JS, which shouldn't be my highest S, and therefore suggest that an Uppercut was available.

Here's what happens if she continues a 4th D...
I would ruff with the KS and declarer will have to lose 2 more tricks
If declarer over-ruffs, he loses a C and the TS
If declarer pitches a C, then I win the KS and continue with a H to give partner a trump promotion for 2 tricks.

The neat thing about this combined UpperCut and Trump Promotion is that when Declarer has a single loser that he can discard, discarding it does not gain.
Had I not played the KD and continued D, this position does not arise and declarer can hold the loses to 5 tricks.
Larry

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Spot on with this write-up, I truly suppose this website wants far more consideration. I’ll probably be once more to read rather more, thanks for that info.