Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Jennbridge: Searching for Matchpoints

Jenn and I were trying to make up some ground recently in the Great American Open Pairs when I picked this up in third seat, our side vulnerable:

♠ AK3
1087642
AQ9
♣ 10

Jenn dealt and opened 1 Club. I bid 1 Heart and she rebid 2 Diamonds, a reverse. This is a nice hand, surely worth at least game and maybe slam, with uncertain direction. I didn't like my heart suit, so I made a forcing bid of 2 Spades. We hadn't discussed just what this meant after a reverse. We had agreed that anything but 2NT would be game forcing, and that the fourth suit was an artificial game force when needed, so it wasn't clear just what this meant. Jenn now rebid 3 Clubs. I tried 3NT (Hamman's Rule), but Jenn removed this to 4 Clubs. What now?

I considered what Jenn had for this sequence of bids. She didn't have much in diamonds, couldn't support hearts and didn't like no-trump. I decided that she had to have 7 or 8 solid clubs to have enough for a reverse, so I pictured her hand something like void/x/KJxx/AKQxxxxx. One thing was certain: she had to have a good hand to remove 3NT. So I decided to bid 6 Clubs. I was rewarded when the opponents led a spade, and she held:

♠ Q
Q
KJ42
♣AKQJ943

♠ AK3
1087642
AQ9
♣ 10
She made 7 easily by pitching her losing heart on my spades. We got 32.5 out of 38 matchpoints.

Good luck!

No comments: