Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Afternoon slams **

I played two sessions today and had a couple of interesting slams in the afternoon playing with Dave P. He opened 2C and I held:

Qx/10xx/KJ9xx/A9x

so I bid 2D waiting. He bid 2S. I liked my hand and my spades so I bid 3S. He bid 4C and I bid 4D. He bid 4H, next hand doubled and I bid 4S. He bid 5S. I wasn't sure what he was asking but I still liked my hand so bid 6.

His hand: AKJ10xx/void/Ax/KQJxx

It was an easy make (actually makes 7) but only one other pair bid it. I think the key is opening 2C and raising spades early.

Hand 2. Pard opened 1H and I held:

KQ10xx/x/AKx/J10xx, a decent opener

I bid 1S and pard jump shifted into diamonds--3D!

Well, this is interesting. We surely have a slam, just need to find a good spot. I bid 4C, temporizing--tell me more partner. He bid 4H so I bid 4N, blackwood. He showed 4 controls so I bid 6N. We surely can find 12 tricks somewhere!

His hand: ..................................................My hand:
A .................................................................KQ1oxx
AKxxx .........................................................x
Q9xx ...........................................................AKX
AQ9 ............................................................J10xx


Opening lead was HQ so I won the A, cashed the SA, came to my hand with a D and counted my tricks. If the SJ didn't drop and the diamonds didn't break there were squeeze possibilities. I took the C finesse and it lost and a H came back. I cashed the clubs and when I played spades the J dropped and 12 tricks were easy.

See you at the table!

No comments: