Saturday, August 17, 2019

Factors to Consider When Playing IMPs

I'm going to be teaching about team game strategy this fall and so will start writing some posts on factors to consider when playing IMPs.

Here is an old, updated post originally entitled: Playing The Opponents 

Playing in a bracketed Swiss team game recently, I was faced twice with the same tricky card combination, both in the club suit:  KJ9xxx opposite a singleton.

Both times I was in game and needed to get it right to make my game.  Each time I "played my opponent".  Did I score up my games?  Read on!

1.  Playing against a strong team, both vul., the bidding went pass, pass and I opened 1 in third seat:

♠ A1098x
KQxxx
♦  Jx
♣ x

Partner bid a forcing notrump and I rebid 2.  Pard jumped to 4 and a heart was led:

♠ xx
AJx
♦ Qx
♣ KJ9xxx

♠ A1098x
KQxxx
♦  Jx
♣ x

Clearly a light game, but at least I had chances on a non-spade lead.  I would need for something good to happen in the club suit to have any chance.

I won the heart in my hand and threw my club on the table.  LHO played low and I paused to think.  LHO was a very experienced player who would not duck the probable setting trick--ever.  I therefore inserted the jack and RHO won the ace!  She returned a heart which I won on the board.  I then cashed the K and ruffed a club with the suit breaking 3-3!  4 clubs, 5 hearts and 1 spade added up to 10 tricks and I scored up 620.  I was pleased to learn that this netted our team 12 imps.

2.  In the final match I picked up this hand and opened 1 in third seat, none vul.:

♠ Kxx
AJxxx
♦ AQxx
♣ x

LHO overcalled 1, partner bid 2, I bid 2N, LHO paused before passing, and pard bid 3N, ending the auction.  A spade was led.

♠ A
x
♦  K10xxx
♣ KJ9xxx

♠ Kxx
AJxxx
♦ AQxx
♣ x

I can count 8 tricks (5 D, 2S, 1H) and here I am in the same situation--needing to guess the club suit correctly to make my game.  OK--what was the meaning of that hesitation by LHO? 

I know the player to be a good, experienced player.  Surely he wasn't thinking about bidding on.  He must have been contemplating a double.  Why would he do that?  Conclusion:  he must have most of the outstanding high cards and thinks he can get in often enough to set up and run his spades.

I win the spade on the board and lead a diamond to my hand.  The moment of truth.  I lead my club, LHO plays low smoothly and I call for the king.  It holds!  That is my ninth trick and I score up my game.  It seems that I read the hesitation correctly.  Plus 400 gains an unlikely 12 imps.  (I'll have to ask my teammates what happened at their table.)

Be present.  Consider the skill level and propensities of your opponents.  Play close attention during the bidding and play to gather all possible information and use it to your advantage.

And, of course, bid close games and keep improving your declarer play!

See you at the table!

2 comments:

Len said...

1) I led DK from Kx Tx KQT9xx Qxx after 1C-1S-(2D), P-2H, 3H-4H. Dummy was xx AJx Ax KJ9xxx. Declarer won DA, played to SA, and guessed the clubs. Pard won CA and played to my DQ. Now in case declarer had H9, I can't cash SK and return a red card, or he could establish the spades. I need to return a red card right away, and I chose the flashy ruff-sluff, and he promoted my HT for the setting trick.

2) They bid 1C-1H-(1S), 2C-2D, 2S-3N, 4D-6D, and I doubled with QTxxx KQTxx 9 AT. I led HK. Declaer won HA, lead a club and I took my ace. Now a spade return lets her ruff a club low, DA (or DAQ), S ruff, club ruff, DQ if she still has it, SK ruffed, DK, claim. But she drew trumps too early and ended up down two.

Memphis MOJO said...

Psychology is a huge part of the game. Good job.